Thursday, May 04, 2006

A personal Letter

Some time ago, actress Julia Roberts was asked what object she valued most. “I have a letter from my daddy,” she replied, “the only letter that I managed not to lose as a child…if anybody ever took that away from me, I would just be destroyed. It doesn’t mean anything to anybody else, yet I can read that letter 10 times a day, and it moves me in a different way every time”

Do you have something that it’s insignificant to everybody, yet to you it means the world that you cherish so much in your life?

I do several…and all are from my mother. The one that stays with me at all times is a ring I had given her. She had it on when I drove her to the hospital (another thing I have to share with you guys) She had already stopped breathing. As they resuscitated her, afterward we walked in to see her and she had her eyes open and she had tubes in her mouth, she could no longer talk. I believe she was well aware of her surroundings, and it made her uneasy. As I reached for her hand trying to calm her down a little, as I kissed her hand I noticed she was wearing the ring I had given her. As I went to take it off, she reacted and kinda of pulled her finger away. But when I told her “mom it’s me” she let go. And that was the last day she wore that ring. Now I wear it all the time. And every time I look at it, it makes me think of her.

I miss her so much!


10 Comments:

Blogger Freebird said...

I have two blue-colored glass birds that were given to me by my late grandmother who was more a mother to me than anyone else. I'm sure they're not expensive, but if there were a fire in my home that's what I would save.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Irina Sazonova said...

Yup, I have my dad's watch. I don't wear it, but I treasure it like nothing else. It stopped after his death and noone can make it work, somehow this fact makes it even more special.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have my grandfather's pipe.

Grandpa (my mom's dad) smoked nearly all his life, but in his later years he'd weaned himself down to no cigarettes or cigars and only a few bowls of pipe tobacco a week.

He lived in a small town out in the middle of nowhere and never really had the chance to go anywhere. His tobacco choices were limited to whatever was available locally, which is to say he always smoked cheap mass market stuff.

Except at Christmas time.

Every Christmas my mom would take me downtown to the biggest tobacconist in Chicago and we'd buy three pouches of the most exotic stuff we could find.

I haven't been there in almost twenty years, but I still remember how that place smelled. It smelled of tobacco obviously, but so much more too. Sweat, whiskey, rum, cinnamon, beer, flowers, cloves, sex, fruit, chocolate. Sometimes it even smelled like feet. (I still don't know who was smoking that nasty feet-smelling tobacco.)

My grandfather and I spent fourteen Christmases together before he died. I gave him the same gift every year. He always acted surprised.

I've got a few other odds and ends from his life, like his wristwatch and his tiger eye ring, but nothing quite holds the memories that crusty old pipe does.


Great post, Mar. Thanks.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grand-mother died 16 years ago this month. I still have the Mother's Day card I had signed, addressed, sealed and stamped. I was going to mail it on my way to work, forgot to drop it in the box; got a call to come...

I also have her big yellow bowl where she mixed up the most fantastic stuffing on earth.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

I have my mom's ring too.
My other treasure is a letter written by my dad on a scrap piece of paper from the school I attended. It was written to my grandma and it's the only thing I have that has his handwriting on it. He was killed when I was young.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I'm not sentimental at all. I have a photo of my dad in uniform, but that's about it.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

It's odd reading about everyone's things. I have EVERYTHING. My mother died when I was young. All of her things went to back to her mother. When she passed, both of their things went to me. At the ripe old age of eight. Teacups, high school scrapbooks, clothes, I had them all. And, they meant nothing.

But, from my father's mother, I have a beautiful amethyst ring that is vital to me. :)

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really nice memory. :) I don't really have anything like that...since I've been a gypsy for the past 10 years until I married Mr. Kentucky. But we're making memories now...and I have my furbabies.

10:04 PM  
Blogger The Radical Notion said...

I racked my brain about this and I guess I'm just not very sentimental. I don't have anything. I have tried to create that sort of thing for my kids, though. For each of them, when I was pregnant, I kept a journal about my pregnancy and about what kind of life I wanted for them. I hope that they treasure that someday.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

T, those thoughts you've recorded I think will be more valuable to them than any item could possibly be.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home