Saturday, May 13, 2006

Stalker or Loneliness?

As you all know I work at a major skincare company. I have a lot of people calling me all the time. Some are long term faithful customers, others are like the lady I will tell you guys about. She called asking for a Spanish speaking rep. So, her call was transfered to me. She began telling me about her skin problems and issues, and like always I ask what is the first thing and the one thing you want to focus on first. So, I make up a personal skin regimen. She buys it...like always, I include a gift to all my customers. And that usually gets them hooked.

Well in our conversation we started talking about other natural things she could take or eat. One of them was goji berries, and how good they are for you. One week later I get a box at work with four bags of goji berries from this lady. I was surprised and thought it was sweet of her. I called her to give her thanks...she had me on the phone for almost an hour and a half. My gosh lady...she talked about her family, how my voice reminded her about her sister in law, etc etc.

So, as gratitude for going through the trouble of sending me something, I turned around and send her another gift. This time thinking it was going to end at that point. But NO...three weeks later, I had forgotten about her. Then she calls me again. She wanted to say thanks, and so it went another hour of talking about things I really shouldn't need to know. Things that she shouldn't have shared with me. Now at this time, I think this lady is lonely. She probably doesn't have anyone to vent to. So, I'll be nice and be friendly which is something I am really good at.
I am hardly ever in a bad mood. As soon as I get to work, my baggage is left at the door. And a "work" me, a sales person me comes out.

Well, as I am talking to her she tells me; "I've told my husband that I want to go to San Diego for the summer". She lives in Texas. And I said that would be lovely. Then she asks is San Diego far from Los Angeles? And I say no, not really about 3hrs.
He tone of voice got very excited, and she said I will tell my husband to take me to see you. I really would love to meet you. All this time she was very excited telling me all this. All I could say was, yes that would be nice. She asked don't you guys have a Spa where you work and I said yes. Well then its set we will meet at the Spa and meet each other.
I am thinking okay, but some how I am feeling a little uncomfortable about the whole thing.

This week I get another box from her, filled with more Goji berries and other wonderful things. Things that I like...and I am very hard to please. How did this person know that I was going to like the things she sent me? And why does she feel the need to send me stuff...? Don't get me wrong I am not a mean person that doesn't appreciate little things like that. But from a stranger, someone that has only listened to my voice.

Do I inspire confidence to her? Because she talks to me about things you would only tell your best friend. Does she feel lonely and in need of someone to offer her an ear?
She doesn't give me the impression of being a bad person. Just a lonely person in need of a friend.


10 Comments:

Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

That is kind of stalkerish and creepy, though it may be just like you said and she's just lonely. I find it odd though, what kind of a marriage must she have that she feels the need to reach out to a customer service rep for a friendly ear? I'd be inclined to make up something like, "I'm sorry it's against company policy" and bow out of the meeting. Just be careful. She might be crazy! (And I don't mean the harmless kind of crazy that I am.)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

At work they call me Dr. Phil...I wonder why?

8:47 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Because you need to have your own TV show! I'll start the fan club right now, okay?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Middle Girl said...

This sounds truly weird. I guess this is the 'con' of being smoov and stuff.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eee...that is kinda creepy. I mean, it's one thing to talk on the phone about inappropriate things, but to meet up in person...eh, I'd be weirded out and it kinda takes a LOT for me to get weirded out.

But I *was* going to meet up with one of my customers once when I lived in Nebraska and worked for a hotel reservation company. He seemed friendly and normal enough...I made my roommate at the time...who was a big hulking male go with me to meet up with this person...it was a restaurant, so Scott got a nearby table.

But then, I saw him. And he was short. I don't mean just like oh, he's under 6 ft tall short...I mean like he barely cleared 5 ft tall. So Scott and I had dinner and we left. :P The guy called me up to see why I hadn't met up with him, but I told him I went and I didn't see him so I left. heh I never heard from him again...wonder why. :P

10:59 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I work with the public a lot and there are a lot of situations like this. Most of them are just that, lonely.
I speak minimal russian and one immigrant woman was having problems with her water line. Between the two of us, we got the problem discussed and solved. But, to this day she still brings me tomato ("Paul-me-door-ee") plants.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Yeah I want to believe that is nothing beyond curiosity mixed with loneliness. And hope that she will forget about it...and if she comes I will probably meet with her in the Spa. But not in another location, just incase...

3:53 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Who knows about people anymore...she could be a serial stalker....or just a looney tune friendly stranger. It is a lil creepy though by the way it sounds.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

Wow. That is kinda creepy, a bit. And kinda sad too, that in this day and age we have to question someone's kindness to protect ourselves, but it is a dangerous world out there.

I'd not eat anything that wasn't sealed. But that is just me.

Maybe she is just lonely for her sister and you remind her of her. She could just have no one to talk to, and want a friend and I know sometimes people desparate for a friend will latch on to anyone who shows them a bit of kindness. It's sad, but you have to watch out in this world. If you are up to meeting her, have fun, but if you want this to taper off eventually, I'd skip the meeting before she considers you her best friend! Maybe she isn't around many spanish speaking people right now and she's just extra lonely.

Oh I don't know I am going back and forth and not being helpful at all am I?

I think "against company policy" is a great opt out.

2:09 PM  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

I'm on the fence. She sounds nice, lonely and all that, but also a little over the top. I'm a little paranoid and watch too many weird movies. I like the 'against company policy' suggestion that was made. I like your blog!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home