Monday, April 10, 2006

PLEASE WELCOME MY FIRST RENTER

I am trying this for the first time and I think it is not only a great promotional tool, but a great way for us bloggers to get even closer and better know one and other.

Law student, heavy metal fan, amateur photographer.

About the Art:
I received my camera, which I call my "pawn shop special," as a Christmas gift from my parents in 2001 or 2002. It's a Yashica SLR, and I currently have a mid-range zoom and a wide-angle lens. I think I'm learning a lot by being limited in this way, but I don't intend to stay so limited for long. I didn't use my camera during my photography class, where I gained darkroom experience (although I already had some in high school journalism). I picked up the camera and started using it in October of 2004, and after a roll of mostly sub-par pictures, I re-learned everything from my class and have been improving ever since. I no longer do any of my own developing.
My favorite artists are Hiroshige, the great Japanese landscape artist, and the surrealists Salvador Dali and H.R. Giger (the designer of the monsters from Alien and Species). I'm not really sure if they influence me in any way. Hiroshige probably has had the most influence, and I think I have somewhat of an obsession with katana (samurai swords) much in the same way that other artists have their own obsessions (like Dali with his crutches and Gala), although to a lesser extent. I hope to return to that theme in the near future. The whole feudal Japanese aesthetic interests me, and I hope to travel to Nihon some day with my camera.
I believe that composition is the most important skill for a photographer, with technical skill and an eye for subject matter neck-and-neck behind. It's important to remember that not everyone can travel all over the world to take pictures, and just because it's a picture of something amazing doesn't mean that it's an amazing picture.
So, stop by and take a look...you will like his amazing work.


4 Comments:

Blogger pack of 2 said...

Thanks for stopping by our "house"...we'll be back to visit again soon.

Angie

1:40 PM  
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

Thanks for the nice welcome! I should note that I haven't updated that page in a while, and now I have a digital camera as well, a Canon Powershot A520.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

pack of 2- Thanks for stopping by as well. I enjoyed your writtings. Feel free to stop by any time!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Kelly-welcome, and make sure to take more wonderful photos with your new toy!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home