Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tattoo Conflict...


I have always wanted to get a tattoo...But have never had the guts to go agaisnt what my family thinks. I know they will go crazy if they were to find out I have gotten a tattoo. Magically and yes, I do mean magically. I managed to rent my back guest house to a couple, he is completely covered in tattoos. If I would have seen him when they came over to see the guest house. I wouldn't have rented it to them. So, in a way I do understand my family's point of
view. I immediately frowned when I saw him come in. I was devastated and thought I had made a big mistake.

it turns out they are really friendly and nice people...from what I can tell so far. He is a counselor for teens in trouble or in gans. And she is a manager for some company. Both have tattoos on their bodies.
He is also a tattoo artist...gee you don't say!

I printed some pictures of a tattoo I have been thinking of getting for years. He is now working on it on getting the design. But do I really want to go through this? Is this really who I am and want to do? Most important question, will I regret getting it later when it's too late?

Is my family's point of view stronger than my wanting to get a tattoo? Or do I have some reservations on the idea of getting a tattoo? Does it even go with my persona, most likely NO!
I am NOT afraid of needles so, its not being afraid that stops me from getting it.

Will my point of view about people with tattoo change after I become part of this group...

Or will I get one and hide it to my family just the same way I hide my sexuality...most likely yes. I guess you can say I am afraid of being judged, critized and not being accepted by the people that are most important to me. My family!

I still have some thinking to do, and some soul searching. Will getting one make me a stronger a little bit more careless person.
Or will I ever have the courage to tell them, either you accept me for who I am. If you don't well, bugger off. Most likely I will end up hiding it. And that is not the purpose.


14 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

First,and foremost you need to decide what is best for you. Yes your family is important..but this is your body, your life. If you feel that it would compromise something of yourself don't go for it. Good post by the way.

4:53 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

I know several people when we were younger (like in our 20's) who are now very sorry they got tattoo's 20 years later.

(Not the one's who got a small tattoo in an area not normally seen...but the ones who have 2 or more that are hard to hide.)

I toyed with the idea myself when I was younger and am now glad I didn't get one.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Big decission. I love tattoos and yet I do not have one. I know my parents would freak out, but I really don't care, I mean I'm in my 30's, this is my life and I'm following my path. So for me, thier judgement does not come into play. At this point I believe that they either accept me for who I am or move on.

But, I think for me, the reason I don't have one is that I know I won't stop with one. I love sleeves and full body tattos, but BP doesn't. So, while I have wanted the same tattoo design for the past 16 years, I don't yet have it on my body. Maybe for my birthday this year.

In my opinion, you have got to start living your life on your path and stop worrying about what every else but you and dragon think. In the end you're the one who will look back on your life and have to live with the decissions you've made.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Why don't you get one of the temporary ones, put it on and see what you think? They come right off with rubbing alcohol and you can see what you look like with it.
Just an option.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

This is a thought-provoking post. You'd have to hide your tattoo like you hide your sexuality. People judge you, and tattoos definitely have certain negative connotations associated with them.

I could never get one myself. I am a HUGE wimp when it comes to pain and needles. No thank you. I'll stick with the temporary ones.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Thanks Kentucky girl...those are great advices!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Mike- That is what I am afraid of, but yes maybe a small one in a private are would be a good idea.

Zoe- Thanks I think I worry about my family way to much, because we are so close to eachother. Funny thing I am sure they would do what makes them happy.

I too am afraid of getting a tattoo and liking it too much. And go for more and more...
It's a hard decision to make.

Maggie- I tried one of those henna and I really like the way it looked. I guess since then I started thinking of getting a real one.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Debbie Pelberg said...

I came over from Chase's. I think it's really great that you are truly mulling it over.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

That is so true, them doing what make them happy. Don't waste anymore of your life making sure that you are who they want you to be, not who you want to be.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - it's a big decision. I almost got 2 tattoos throughout my younger years that I'm SOOOOOO glad I didn't get. They both just FELT wrong and I chickened out. I'm so happy I did.

However, I'm almost 31 now and I have 2 tattoos...one I got when I 6 years ago and one I got 2 years ago. I love them both as much as I did the day I got them.

The difference between the ones I got and the ones I didn't? I seriously thought out the choices and the ones I have both mean something very dear to me. I can look at them and smile - they weren't just quick decisions.

Dang that's a long comment. Sorry. Heh.

9:05 PM  
Blogger The Radical Notion said...

I don't think tattoos mean much at all. I have one and it doesn't change anything. I'm thinking about getting another. I've also found that if you need to cover it, it can easily be done with makeup. I've done it before for events.

As for the pain part of it, like Geeky mentioned, it's really not that bad. Depends on the location of the body that you choose though.

I don't think I judge people with tattoos. This couple came into a place I volunteer at last week and they both were very beautiful girls but they had lots of tattoos--some really interesting and unique pieces.

It's up to you. Just do what will make you feel right.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with KY girl. Get a small one is a private place and see how comfortable you are with it:)

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a tat, a small one on my right hand. Once I decided what I wanted and where I wanted it, I waited several years before I got it done. I figured that would be something of a hedge against regretting the tat six months after I got it.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Joefish-on your hand...what is it on your right hand, and does it say "666"?

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home