Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Old and alone...


Today we went out to Souplantion for dinner. While we were waiting in line for them to seat us, I notice this old man by himself and I became sad for him. He didn't look sad, but he looked lonely. He was all alone eating his dinner by himself. And as I saw him all I could think was, I don't want to get to be his age and be alone.

Specially when you have grown surrounded by a big family with a very close bond. And I having chosen to live and be united to Dragon. She doesnt want any kids, in the begining I did. But only for the same reason, I don't want to grow old and find myself alone. Just like the man we saw at the restaurant.

In the other hand what guarantee do I have that if I have any kids, that they will be with me at my old age? No guarantee at all!
That has been one of the reasons why I have stopped trying to convenice Dragon to have a baby. I know for sure she is not having one. Because she doesn't like kids nor wants any.

Growing old is that becoming a burden on your loved ones? I took care of my mother and didn't leave her side until she passed away. I could not imagine leaving her to live by herself. I just had devoted my life to her and I was happy to be with her. But what happens to people like me, no kids, no family the only one to be with me is Dragon. What if one of us gets sick along the way and we find ourselves alone...and old. Not being able to restart another family. So you end up all alone.

Just like that old man we saw tonight, having dinner alone. Was he happy? He didn't look sad. He didn't have anyone to start a conversation with.

What if he doesn't have anyone by his side to bring him a glass of water at night...what if he gets sick, there's no one with him to know. How sad don't you think?

I don't know maybe I am just scared of growing old.


7 Comments:

Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Maybe he went there to get away from his wife, so he could read in peace without the nagging?

There are no guarantees in life. We plan as best as we can, take care of ourselves, and hope for the best. If worst comes to worst, we can always check ourselves into one of those communities for active seniors!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh...tough post. Yeah, I haven't decided if we'll have children or not. And like you, family and people are very important to me. Another reason why I despise living here because I'm so far from my family. I feel so disconnected.

I freakin' love Souplantation, BTW. LOVE IT. GIMME BIG SALAD...LOTS OF BEANS, PLEASE! GIMME! GIMME! I love that place.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

My grandparents were married for 60 years before my grandfather pasted away. In talking to my grandmother after the funeral she said, "Who will be my Sugar Bear now?"
I moved her in the following week.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I am supersensitive when it comes to this topic. Not to mention it made me cry. In every old man or woman I see who is alone, or has that dazed out lonely look it makes me think of my grandfather. He was never alone, we were with him until the day he died. but I think a part of him died inside when my grandma dumped him years ago. He always had that far off, lonely look..it broke my heart to see that.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear will only hold you back. I believe if you are a family person, you will always have a family. We all know families are not limited to a blood connection. If you choose to spend your time alone, it is probably because you like to.

Karen Lynn

9:52 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

That is sad. I feel the same way when I see someone alone, especially older folks. I also have a few friends who are in their 40's one close to 50 and single, long time single and not looking for love, and I always feel sad for them. they seem to be happy that way. I guess everyone is different. Me, I need Betty Please, and I don't know what I'd do with out her. I try not to think about being old because it scares the hell out of me, kids or no kids. Kids is a whole new topic all in its self.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I cannot bear the thought of my parents growing old alone. It is my obligation, a labor of love, no matter how big a pain in the ass it is, to ensure things don't go down that way.

Will my son do the same for me? Only time will tell. Whatever. I'd not trade the experience of being a parent for anything, although I'd be the first to say parenthood is not for everyone.

Suzanne

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home