Monday, April 17, 2006

We are a nation of CHRONIC DIETERS...Why Most People Don't Diet


I was trying to find some information about why is it so hard for us to stick to a diet or a plan to loose weight. I came across some interesting articles...I have combine some facts that I wanted to share with you. Maybe we can learn something, in hopes that we stop blaming ourselves for not being able to stick to a plan. Loosing extra pounds can be hard, and not having a plan to help you makes it impossible.

By now most people's New Years resolutions are as stale as any leftover Superbowl potato chips or Christmas fruitcake. The resolve to quit smoking, or lose weight and get fit, fades quickly. They are great ideas, but the self-improvement fever lasts only a few weeks, and by March gyms across the country are cashing in on unused memberships.

Why is this? America is often described as a nation of chronic dieters. In a Jan. 16, 2006, cover article in U.S. News & World Report, suggested that Americans should 'Stop dieting. Stop obsessing about every morsel you put in your mouth, stop weighing yourself twice a day, stop letting your quest to be thin control your life." Good advice—if it were true.
The idea that Americans are obsessed with weight loss is a myth.

Americans spend $33 billion each year on weight loss—everything from fad diets, to books to exercise equipment. As impressive as the number sounds, it is not a true measure of commitment to losing weight. Books, diet plans, and Stairmasters don't make people lose weight. People make people lose weight. Spending money is easy; the problem is the follow-through.
The surprising reality is that most Americans are not dieting, and are not really trying to lose weight. If Americans were truly committed to getting fit and losing weight, they would eat less and exercise more. Yet most people steadfastly refuse to do it.

In 2004, the Centers for Disease Control reported that Americans are eating more than ever, and women in particular are eating over 300 more calories a day than they did in 1971. Two-thirds of Americans are overnight, yet fewer than one-third get regular exercise.
The simple fact is that losing weight just isn't that important to people.

A 1993 a survey found that over half of Americans said they weren't at all concerned with watching their weight, and studies show that fewer than one-quarter of Americans are dieting.

In 2002 Glamour magazine asked more than 11,000 readers what they would give up to slim down permanently. Three-quarters would not give up eating dessert, and only 41 percent would pay $3,000 to be thin forever. Almost a quarter said they would not give up anything to lose weight.

Many of us would like to lose weight in the same way we'd like to get rich by winning the lottery: We'll do it if it doesn't take too much effort. Americans don't want to take the figurative and literal steps to achieve our goals. We want to eat more and weigh less. Diet and exercise—the only proven method for effective, sustained weight loss—sounds good but takes too much willpower for most of us.

The myth that most diets fail has it exactly backward: Instead, most people fail diets. Just about any sensible diet will help a person lose weight. Blaming the diet because the dieter quit is like blaming the unused treadmill for not doing its job. The real solution isn't in fad diets or workout DVDs; the solution is in the mirror.

Okay so, let me get off my ass and go for a walk...


16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was sent by Kentucky Girl. Love your blog:)

7:36 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

How true. I'm always amused by the people who order a big mac...super sized fries...then a diet soda...just something wrong about that. (With the exception of people who truly like diet soda over regular soda.)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Mike- I don't even drive close to a McDonalds...much less step inside one of those, unless im on a road trip and I need to use the restrooms...im afraid even the fumes would kill me.

The queen-thanks for flying by my blog. Promise to have lots of honey for you next time you stop by.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I'm her honey, do I count? Oh wait, I attract flies, not bees. Nevermind. :P

McDonalds, ugh, I'd like a growth hormone burger with a side of trans fats please. Oh and a large cup of sugar, thanks.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

The problem is that we need to not diet, but to change our lifestyles. We all get too wrapped up in rushing around and no one "has time" to cook. I know that for me at least, it would be a lot easier if someone would even just keep me company in the kitchen. I might enjoy cooking if it was a fun thing we did togeher instead of something I had to do or we'd be eating junk all of the time. I'm hoping that once BP is finally finished with her masters that she will cook with me and go with me and the dogs on our long walks.
It's also difficult for me because I have a very high metabolism. So, I can eat junk with out visible consequence.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Zoe-that is very important to have fun in the kitchen and not be alone cooking. Also, make time to cook. A lot of people just dont have time to cook and they end up at a drive-thru.
Even though you have a very high metabolism, we should all be aware of what we eat. We may not see it now because we are young. But later when we get old and our metabolism is slow thats when we start to get sick.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Dragon- you always count...it wouldnt be the same without you babe!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Not to mention the chemical crap that builds up in your system regardless of what weight you are. I cringe every time I think of the tubs of margine I used to consume throughout childhood and my 20s.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Awwww... *SMOOCH!*

8:53 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I know that's my point. I know how bad the crap I eat is for me, but since I can't see an immediate cause and effect it's hard to stick with the eat healthy plan when I'm feeling lazy, even though I know how bad it is for us. I buy organic when I can, especially things like meats and dairy. For fruits and veggies we have sort of limited choices here until the summer when we have farmers markets, and my garden of course. Man I can't wait till I have fresh garden tomatoes, yum.
Anyway, I think we are on the same page.

6:42 AM  
Blogger The Radical Notion said...

Everything you said is true, mar. I don't know why people aren't concerned enough about their health to lose weight. I try to eat healthy and I've stayed a good weight for my height. My husband, however, was always pudgy (for lack of a better word) and finally he realized that he didn't want to get winded when playing with the kids. He knows I know a lot about food so he asked me what he should do to lose weight. I told him that he should go on a low cal diet, no fad diets, and just eat sensible. He has lost 80 pounds and looks great now. Sometimes it works!

11:47 AM  
Blogger cadbury_vw said...

it takes a lot of time to eat healthy. the preparation time to go from raw/fresh to prepared is substantial.

it also takes more effort to eat all that healthy food.

it takes me roughly twice as long to eat now as it did before i switched to a healthy diet.

also, you don't get nearly the same fast high with healthy food as you do with sugar/simple carb/fat foods

2:15 PM  
Blogger BlondeBlogger said...

Just dropping in to say hello....here by way of Kentucky Girl!

p.s. Hi up there, Mike! *waving*

3:16 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

t. You are doing well by helping your husband. I thinks its all about how much we can motivate eachother. It is hard to do it all on your own.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

writewingnut-thanks for dropping by. Hope to see more of you.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

Very true. My Tony Little Freestyle Glider is a great clothes hanger when K does ironing. I've got a pilates DVD sitting collecting dust, bought it 2 years ago...used it once...and was in so much pain after I couldn't walk so there it sits.

But your post today has made me wanna get up off my ass and walk or something!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home