Sunday, April 16, 2006

Wild versus Farm- or Ocean-Raised Fish?









I have been eating Salmon for the last 2 months, 4 times a week. My sister found out and told me that I should be careful not too eat too much, because it can also have serious side effects! I had not heard anything to back her story up...until today. I decided I needed to do some research. Here is what I found out, which by the way SUCKS!


This is a complex issue to understand, I think. Logically we'd think farm-raised (by the way, "ocean-raised" fish is the same as "farm-raised" just a new marketing name. Farm-raised fish are fish in pens in the ocean and when this got a bad wrap they changed the name, that's all) would be better for our environment and better for us. But we have learned that farm raised means that the fish don't get lots of swimming room, are prone to disease (and therefore fed antibiotics) and can get out and infect the fish in the wild. They are also high in mercury.
Let's look at Salmon, for example, since it's an incredibly healthful fish full of omega 3s. Since Farmed Salmon are fed pellets instead of what they eat in the wild three elements are affected.
First, the food that they normally eat in the wild converts into powerful omega 3s for us; the farm raised salmon doesn't have as high nutritional value.
Second, the food they eat naturally helps them turn that beautiful pink color to which we are accustomed; the farm raised are therefore fed colorings to make them more palatable to our eye.
Finally, the food they eat affects how they taste and there is truly no comparison in flavor or texture.

Therefore, farm-raised fish doesn't have the health benefits of Wild fish. Therefore, farm-raised salmon doesn't have the color of natural salmon and they are fed colorings to help make the salmon palatable for our plates.
"Wild salmon become pink by eating sea creatures like krill, which contain a carotenoid called astaxanthin. Farmed salmon are naturally grayish but turn pink when they are fed various sources of astaxanthin, including one that is chemically synthesized and others that originate from yeast or microalgae.


17 Comments:

Blogger mikster said...

Now I know why I don't eat salmon...but I do like seafood.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I hate fish. But if I were to eat salmon, I'd make sure to buy Alaskan salmon. Actually I wouldn't buy it, I'd call my brother and ask him to ship me some. He loves to fish, and lives in Alaska.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember eating 'canned' salmon 20 years ago. Hey, in Belgium real salmon was hard to get and Scottish and Norwegian salmon were unaffordable, so my parents bought tins. Because we liked salmon sandwiches and salad. It tasted exactly the same as the pink stuff you find nowadays in tins, but it was (regular) grey. Probably it had loads of different E's in, but it was still grey.

Today it is pink and has no E's? Funny...

@ Zoe, here in Europe we get Alaskan Salmon too. It tastes a little more 'plastic' than Norwegian. ;)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That's actually very interesting. I don't eat enough salmon to worry about it myself, but don't get me started on beef. I could totally ruin your next hamburger, lol.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

We should all just start our own commune in the Alaska and go fishing with Zoe's brother. We'll have organic everything. Funny thing is we'll just end up freezing to death instead.

Dammit I love fish and seafood. Now I have to watch out for that stuff too? I'm sad now.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

gdg- I'm in, especially on the all organic thing. and think of all of the kayaking we could do. And don't worry, we won't freeze to death. Well, I won't at least. In the winter, Anchorage is actually warmer most of the time than it is where I live.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Oooh kayaking would be awesome! I haven't done that in a while. I hear Alaska beauuutiful (when it's not frozen). Zoe, what state are you in that Alaska is warmer in the winter??

12:22 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

Anchorage, not most of Alaska, is warmer than where I live in Indiana. But, Anchorage is a little unique in its weather patterns. It is in a mountain bowl and it gets warm currents from the ocean inlet.
The sea kayaking is amazingly beautiful. I could so be a kayak tour guide there for the summer.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I love fishing! woo woo! The way to this chick's heart is definitely through her fly!
I'm not big on fish farms for commercial uses. They remind me too much of puppy mills.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

I so sad...I love SALMON. Now I have to search for fresh Salmon, not grown in farms, damn it!
Zoe- ask your if he could send us some salmon. By the way I am in to going KAYAKING too! :-P

5:36 PM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

I knew about this. When I was director of operations for a restaurant...this was a big topic. Salmon is a big deal in NW & people were calling us off the hook to see if we had wild salmon.

Most restaurants have farm salmon up here because the demand is so high.

Shelly

7:48 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

So then, we'll have a commune in Anchorage. You guys can eat salmon, yuck. We'll grow organic veggies and whatever fruit we can, and be kayak tour guides. Sounds like fun.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

All right! Organic communal kayak tour guides, woohoo! Wait, does your brother know about our plans?

Madbull, I still see canned salmon here and there. It tastes a lot like tuna.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Hey...an organic communal! Does that mean we all have sex with eachother too? YIKES...I am totally in! :)

9:03 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Oooooh. I'm telling both of your wives....Unless, of course I'm invited to the commune.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

Syd-hone, the more the BETTER...I am all about having variety. :)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

No, I have not shared this plan with my brother yet. I know he'd love for me to move up there.

what ever type of arrangement you guys want you know I'm game.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home