Thursday, April 20, 2006

Welcoming the stranger...


"As you know, there were lots of huge marches around the country yesterday to protest the immigration laws. The marches had quite an impact on businesses. Restaurants had to close, construction sites had to shut down, the Yankees had to forfeit a game. ... Do you realize that Americans are now doing the jobs that immigrants won't do because they're out protesting?" --Jay Leno


I know many of you don't really care about what's going on with the immigrantion issues around our country. And so many things about that, I don't really care about as well. But I think I owe it to say something about this topic. Say something about many people out there that ask why? I have read so many blogs that talk about this topic in a very negative way. To those people I have some questions...and those are; why do you hate the things you don't understand? You don't understand how hard it is for these people to leave their countries and begin a new life. You don't understand how many people want to give their kids a dream of a better life. You don't understand how many people must leave their loved ones and come here alone, in order to provide them with a little peace of mind. Life is really hard in our countries, because they don't have much to offer. And that is why WE have moved here to live out everyone's dream...a dream of a better life.

We live in a country that's around 50 percent Latino, with the vast majority of that population being recent immigrants. So it's not surprising to me to see these massive protest marches, with thousands taking to the streets in cities around the country on a daily basis.

Some of the most prominent political groups have been completely silent on the subject. It's not an easy issue; we have to admit that the immigration debate is about real people "the usual array of arguments marshaled to support or hinder immigration tends toward the abstract. The arguments often obscure rather than clarify." Charity, hospitality, and human worth are important concepts to remember in this debate, but even Bible verses on "image of God," "welcoming the stranger," and caring for "the least of these" aren't entirely applicable in the legislative debate, and don't come with policy prescriptions.

The arguments often obscure rather than clarify. It's helpful to remember who we are talking about when we discuss "undocumented workers." It's people like my family. Thanks to God we came here and we were LEGAL. What about those people that can't afford or have no means to have all their documentation ready?

"This problem with illegal immigration is nothing new. In fact, the Indians had a special name for it. They called it 'white people.'" --Jay Leno

I know this is a very touchy subject and many of you won't agree with my views. But why are immigrants being treated so badly? They work so hard for their money, why do we want to make their lives harder than it already is? Just being a minority is hard enough believe me, I have experienced it. I am an American Citizen, but I know that many people look down on me because I am a Latina. Even though I was raised here since I was 7 yrs old. But I love my heritage, my background. And if I have my accent, even that identifies me and I am not ashamed of it.

I see that California has a vast of the populations from various countries. I love that! I love that we have embarrassed so many culters, and what they have to offer.
Why can't we learn to live with each other and enjoy what the other has to offer?
I mean is it so bad that immigrants come to this country to do the work WE don't want to do ourselves?

"Every time you allow somebody to mow your lawn and you don't ask for papers, you have invited them," Bermudez said. "Every time you allow somebody to bus your table, you have invited them."

I have read so many blogs out there stating that they are against immigrants and that is okay. Everyone has their own opinion, and so do I. And since this is my blog I will tell you what I think if you don't like it, please go to the next blog.
I am what I am and those people that you are accusing as invaders are my people. I wont just sit back and not say anything. But I will not bore you with going into details because I know everyone is aware of what is going on.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for speaking so well on this subject. May I add a link to this post to my blog??

6:37 PM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

the queen-Please do so! And thank you for your comments.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

I just wanted to say that I agree with you, and feel the same way! I am in favor of helping these families.
I spent many years working with immigrants who snuck in, and I didn't have a problem with it. Good for them was my opinion. I respected the men (women and sometimes boys) who came here knowing NO one and not speaking a word of English and yet they get a job and work HARD for their money. Just so their families can have just a little better back home.

5:50 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

We're all here due to immagration.

5:53 AM  
Blogger pack of 2 said...

I agree with you 100%!
I have not commented on other blogs because I don't agree with their views on this subject. I have worked as a restaurant manager & operations manager my whole life & have met so many people who are just great people. They work hard & I support them being here!
I also support them protesting & gave given them days off to do so.

I don't know why Americans always have to have a group of people to discriminate against...it makes me sick!

Shelly

10:21 AM  
Blogger Freebird said...

Fellow Latina here wanting to say Rock on!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home