Monday, July 10, 2006

Bad mother, makes bad tenant?

As you already know. We rent a back house to this couple, so we thought. When we first had the renter come see the apt. We asked if it was going to be by herself? And she assured us that it was her alone. Then all of a sudden she has this guy come to "help her move in". It has gotten to the point that she has 5 people living in the small guest house.
I have already raised the rent 200.00 more because she had her boyfriend staying over. Now she has her daughter, a friend and the daughters girl friend. Come on, we are not renting the apt to bring all you can.

I am trying to remain cool, and not get fustrasted or mad. Because if I were to get to that point I would ask them to empty the guest house. I am trying to be patient. Dragon on the other hand looks so at ease, relaxed and I am fustrated about the whole situation.

Last night her daughter and girlfriend seem to have become close to us as soon as they figured out we were a couple. So, they come over last night and I blurted something out that the girls mom had told me. And some how it escaped my mouth.

All of a sudden they went back to the apt. And 10 minutes later come back talking really bad about the girls mom. And how her mom was in an abusive relationship. Telling us really bad things about both of them...Why was she telling us all of this?
But all this time as they were talking, I looked at Dragon and told her you see I had a bad feeling about them. Hey, I do.

Well, it turns out that the girls had gone over to her mom and confronted her about what she had told us. And it looks like they were going trough some drama. Which I hated myself for being involved in. I really hated that they managed to pull me into their circle of confusions and arguments.
Well, it was like I meant t have started something between them by telling her what her mom had said. I thought it was nothing important that. But it wasn't like I had imagine. I need to learn to watch what I say, specially when it's in a joking none formality way.

Today Dragon and I were watching TV when the mom and the boyfriend come over wanting to talk to us about the situation. About last night...

We started talking and I confessed to them that I had told her daughter about what she had said, because I didn't think it was important or something secretive.
They started telling us thet the girls went over to their place and said that WE were talking bad about them. WTF??
Oh my god, I should have known this girls were doing something like that. Something so immature and childish. I should have known!!

We talked and for the most part it was a good conversation. I managed to tell them that I wasn't pleased about how they had 5 people living in the guest house and that I expected them to make the the changes in order to have a good living arraignment. So, over all it was a good chat and things were out on the table. Who is lying, who is telling the truth. I HAVE NO CLUE.

What would you guys have done if you were in my place?

Now today's lesson is don't make friends with tenants kids! :-}


5 Comments:

Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

The thing is, we know for a fact ONE of the parties is guilty of telling numerous strings of lies... the thing is, whoever it is, they are so good at it we just can't tell! It's a really weird situation to be in, listening to one group saying things opposite of what the other group is saying. One of them is lying for sure, but who??

Perhaps in the end it doesn't matter that much, so long as they pay rent on time and don't bring trouble to the house. I don't see the point in worrying about it. If they screw up, we kick 'em out.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Geeky Dragon Girl said...

yeah...kicking them out sometimes is hard and it gets complicated.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exacting is the lease? I said/she said doesn't go nearly so far as a signed document saying "one resident only."

9:29 PM  
Blogger The Radical Notion said...

From having done daycare for three years, I know that you have to have a clear contract for any thing you're providing to another person whether it be housing or childcare. I would have been very clear in the contract about who could live in the house before all this happened. If you didn't do that, I'm not sure if you can do a lot. If they refused to leave and you evicted them, it could take forever especially with no clear contract. If you have a clear lease that says they cannot have additional people living in the apartment, then I would say you should stick to your guns and tell them the others need to get the fuck out or they're all out.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Run. You can get other renters. That sort of bums me out because we're renters. A good, stable family, super clean, and I feel like because of renters like that, all renters get a bad reputation. I say raise the rent $200 for each additional occupant. That should drive them out by proxy.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home